In the territory, different projects related to sustainable rural development are being carried out. Most of them are linked to the values of natural and cultural heritage that characterize the personality of the proposed territory, highlighting the importance of the geological and paleontological heritage.
These initiatives are fully consistent with the philosophy of the model of a UNESCO Global Geopark. Therefore, Conca de Tremp-Montsec Geopark project allows their promotion to gain visibility and coordination among public and private stakeholders, always guaranteeing the participation of the local community in the development of the project.
The BENEFITS that are expected of the incorporation of the candidate territory in the Global Geoparks Network (GGN) are:
- Raising the profile of the territory and be a high-quality tourist destination by using the communication and promotion tools of the Global Geoparks Network (GGN) (website, publication, conferences, etc.).
- Improving the training of local professionals and entrepreneurs by using the communication and promotion tools of the GGN (conferences, working groups, lnternational Ιntensive Course on Geoparks at the Petrified Forest of Lesvos Geopark, exchange of professional experiences and good practices, etc.), thus obtaining better results in the rural development initiatives carried out in the territory in the fields of research, geoeducation, geotourism and other related sustainable economic activities.
- Strengthening the quality and distribution of tourism products and local products (agro-food and non-agro-food products) thanks to the management of the “UNESCO Global Geopark” quality seal.
- Raising awareness among the local population and visitors of the importance of the local heritage, in particular abiotic heritage, by the “UNESCO Global Geopark” seal. We consider it a seal that bolsters our esteem for such a special territory, generating well-being and pride in society while strengthening our identity.
- The implementation of our Geopark project, thanks to the periodical assessments and the possibility of working as part of a network on a national level (Spanish Geoparks Committee), European level (EGN) and global level (GGN), capitalising on the experience of many territories with similar interests, and will enable us to participate in international projects.